The best part of getting ready for a trip is checking out what places you’re going to visit and planning on discovering. We all get excited about that !
But don’t forget to take care of the “little things”… They can become annoying, cause you hassle and stress that you definitely don’t need, in order to fully enjoy your holiday. One of these things is the currency of the country you are visiting.
You can use 2 !
- Lebanese pound (LBP) which is the official one, named “Lira” in Arabic (ل.ل).
- It comes in the form of notes: 1 000, 5 000, 10 000, 20 000, 50 000, 100 000 and coins of: 250, 500 which are the most commonly used (coins of 50 and 100 exist but aren’t used).
- US dollar (USD) is the second currency used in the country and accepted almost everywhere, prices are even displayed in restaurants, hotels and stores for some places.
Where and how do I exchange my money ?
I can’t speak for every country, but you can usually only change your money into Lebanese pounds once you arrive there.
You can do that in the airport, which you may find the easiest, or in a currency exchange office in Beirut.
Note that LBP exchange rate is fixed at 1USD = 1,500 LBP, so if you want to exchange your own currency into USD at home before you go, you can (calculate what’s mot beneficial to you).
ATMs often dispense both U.S. dollars and Lebanese pounds, you’ll easily find them in Beirut and other big cities. Don’t forget to check out your bank policies as some charge withdrawal fees, also tell them you’re going to Lebanon as they might block your card otherwise…
- This link will help you get an idea of the exchange rates : //themoneyconverter.com/LBP/GBP.aspx
Keep a few things in mind…
- Credit cards are widely accepted, but keep enough cash on you as some places won’t take them, depending on where you go (small shops & small towns, etc).
What you should know about tipping in Lebanon:
- For waiters: it’s usually around 10% to 15% (BE AWARE: some already include a service charge, so check your bill first !).
- It will be appreciated (depending on the service of course) by hotel porters/parking valets: approx. amount = LL 4000.
I hope this will help you get prepared, don’t hesitate to comment 🙂